Solved

Forwarding Agent encryption in transit

• 4 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

While it’s great that you offer a Forwarding Agent for sources/destinations that have no direct public IP, I’m having a hard time finding any information as to whether or what sort of encryption in transit is used for the data conveyed by the Agent. And before I go digging into testing what it appears to do, I thought I’d ask here:

Does Striim Forwarding Agent use any encryption for any of its communication?

Context here is that it was suggested to me that Striim might be useful in migrating from an antiquated MySQL ring replication cluster to a modern MySQL master-master cluster. Neither source nor destination cluster has, nor will have, a public IP address, and will not have any direct access available to to the greater internet.

icon

Best answer by john 10 May 2023, 00:44

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

You can deploy Striim in your secure environment and use a VPN connection between the striim agent and platform for secure connectivity. 

Alternatively, Striim Cloud supports SSH tunnels with port forwarding that allows your dedicated IP address for the Striim Cloud service.

Userlevel 1
Badge

To add additional details, when an app is created with encryption option, it will use AES-256 or AES-128 among server nodes and agents, depending on Java version.

When an app is created with encryption option, it will use AES-256 or AES-128 among server nodes and agents, depending on Java version.
For details, see https://www.striim.com/docs/platform/en/create-application-----end-application.html

Badge

You can deploy Striim in your secure environment and use a VPN connection between the striim agent and platform for secure connectivity. 

Alternatively, Striim Cloud supports SSH tunnels with port forwarding that allows your dedicated IP address for the Striim Cloud service.

If we were to take that path, source, destination, and Striim would all be in the same (closed) environment, and then I’d be satisfied not using encryption in transit.